Sunday, July 26, 2009

The Haps

As Melissa recently pointed out, I suck at blogging. I know. So, for those of you who still bother to stop by, here's whats new:

I am not pregnant. We aren't trying, but it seems like everybody else is, so I thought I would just let you know not to expect anything any time soon. Sorry Melissa...

Work has been crazy. I've been so busy the last few months that some days I don't even take a lunch (when I do I just eat at my desk anyway) and I don't have any downtime to blog. I try to keep up the best I can, but I'm usually about a week behind. I just had my yearly review and it went great. So great, in fact, that I am getting a 2 salary grade promotion and will officially be managing my own group effective September 1st. This is obviously exciting because A.) it is great job security in this market, B.) I get a raise this year which I otherwise wouldn't have because our company suspended merit raises for 2009, and C.) I will be a Six Sigma Black Belt in 2010. Hurray!

Home is good. Josh finished the drywall in the garage on his week layoff earlier in July. It looks awesome but was a lot of work. Between finishing the drywall, painting, putting up trim, and putting up the cabinet, pegboard, and work bench it consumed the whole week, but it looks great! Hopefully I will post pictures soon (don't hold your breath).

I got a new car. We traded in the Corolla and bought a Saab 9-7x. I love it! Its got all the options - leather, DVD, Nav, etc. We got a great deal on it because it was a factory car (a Saab exec drove it for 2K miles) so they couldn't sell it as new. That saved us about $25K, and it's literally brand new!

Lately I just have had no motivation after work on weeknights. I don't feel like cooking, cleaning, doing laundry. Really, I just want to take a nap. I think its because for 10+ hours a day my brain is in overdrive, and we really should get to bed earlier, too. It's such a self-defeating cycle - I get to bed late which makes me tired after work so I take a nap, then I don't feel like cooking and we eat out/eat junk which makes me tired and feel like crap, and then I've got so much to do I get to bed late again. Day after day its the same thing. We REALLY need to break this cycle because its taking a toll.

We saw The Hangover a few weeks ago - it was super funny! It was the first time we had been to a movie in forever! I think next weekend we are going to see the new Harry Potter movie. I want to see the new Bruno movie, too, but we'll wait until we can get it from Blockbuster online.

Summer is flying by. We haven't been swimming once, let alone to a beach. I'm not a big fan of Summer in central Illinois, but the weather this month has been unusually cool (70's & 80's, not 90's!) so it hasn't been bad, really. I just miss the Great Lakes, or lakes in general, really.

Last weekend we were in Oshkosh, WI for a Sig Tau wedding. It was a good time and saw a lot of people we hadn't seen in a very long time. We also drank far more than we should have and paid the price for it the next day. I knew we were in trouble when Josh took a shot of SoCo with his brothers and then told me that 'it went down like water'. Between the wine, beer, and hard alcohol, Sunday was rough. Really rough.

3 comments:

AJ said...

Congrats on the job promotion! That's great news and an incredible feat in this crappy economy!

I hear ya on the self-defeating cycle. You totally just explained how I feel. I am so exhausted and am too tired to function after work, and don't feel like cooking, and then can't sleep well at night so the cycle just repeats. I'm trying to force myself out of it, but it's not easy. I tried pre-cooking some things this weekend for easy week night meals during the week. I'm hoping it helps!

alanna rose said...

I miss the lakes, too - pools are nice, but you can't sail a boat in them.

I have to admit I was secretly hoping that you weren't blogging because you had morning sickness. You'll know when(if) the time is right for a family, don;t let anyone pressure you (but it's really fun, I promise!)

Way to go black belted manager lady!

Kara said...

Congrats on the promotion!!